“Whenever and however you intend to give birth, your experience will impact your emotions, your mind, your body and your spirit for the rest of your life”.
– Ina May Gaskin
Pregnancy can be a truly beautiful time in your life. Your bump is growing and you are looking forward to the day you finally get to meet your beautiful baby. Your pregnancy can also be exhausting, overwhelming and down right nerve wracking. There are so many things to learn and big decisions to be made. You’ve probably got a million questions and so many things to do before the big day.
As your birth doula I’m here to guide and support you on your pregnancy journey. I won’t tell you what to do, but I ensure you will know what options you have. I provide practical, evidence based information and resources so you can make the best decisions for your family.
I recognize every birth as a life changing experience that you will remember for the rest of you life. As your birth doula I ensure you feel empowered, supported and prioritized
What does it look like?
During your pregnancy we will have two prenatal meetings where we will get to know one another. We will explore your birthing preferences and prepare a birth plan that works for both you and your family. By getting to know you I will also learn how I can support you physically and emotionally throughout your upcoming labour.
I will be available 24/7 from the time I am hired to the birth of your baby. I am to support you emotionally and physically on this pregnancy journey and will be available to answer your questions and share informational resources.
During your labour, I will offer you continuous support. I can help interpret the medial jargon and make sure you are aware of your options. I am familiar with hospitals policies and protocols and can help you work through them.
Whether you are giving birth at home, a hospital or birth center, I will join you when you feel you need my support. I will remind you what you are doing is normal and healthy, and I will keep you nourished and relaxed for the work that lies ahead. I will concentrate on you physical comfort by suggesting positions, giving hip squeezes and keeping you well hydrated. I will support you emotional by reassuring your feelings, and offering words of encouragement and comfort.
When you are settled at home with your new baby, I will visit you once postpartum. During this visit, we can talk about the birth, your baby, and I can answer any questions you may have on swaddling, bathing feeding etc. I will also be available for two weeks after the birth via email and phone to answer any recovery or baby care related questions.
Birth Package Services
- Two prenatal meetings where we will get to know one another.
- We will explore your birthing preferences and pain management options
- Explore positioning for progress and transitioning, comfort techniques and how I can support you physically and emotionally throughout your labour.
- Provide relevant resources and information support.
- Access to lending library of pregnancy, childbirth, newborn and breastfeeding books
During Labour and Delivery
- Provide continuous emotional and physical support.
- Support and empower you to make informed decisions and communicate effectively with care providers and staff
- Support tools that have been proven most helpful are: massage, hip squeezes, swaying, use of the Rebozo, acupressure points, T.E.N.s machine, music, candles, cold cloth on the forehead, a warm bath or shower spray on the back and of course having a familiar face to nurture, encourage and comfort you
- Stay with you after the birth of your baby, as needed, to help you rest and recover
- If desired I will you initiate the first latch and support breastfeeding.
- I am available to answer any questions by phone or email after I leave the birth and before the postpartum visit.
- Visit you postpartum within three weeks after birth. During this visit, we can talk about the your birth and baby, and to see what other support and resources I can offer (swaddling, bathing, feeding etc).
- I am be available 2 weeks after your birth via email or phone to answer any recovery or baby care related questions.